• 감염병 예방 실천운동

감염병 예방 실천운동

Battling Winter Fungus: A Personal Account from South Korea
  • Sajitha Lakmali Hewapathirana 
  • 12-06 
  • 워크아웃 인사이드

157c90fb0ec108098b5d57573d7ed4e4_1701846548_4607.jpg

As the biting cold of winter envelops South Korea, the battle against indoor fungus takes center stage. I found myself facing this annual challenge in my own home, determined to restore a healthy living environment. This is a chronicle of my experience combating fungus in a single room, and the lessons I learned along the way. Winter in South Korea brings not only frosty temperatures but also a surge in indoor humidity levels. This perfect storm creates an ideal breeding ground for fungus, which can silently invade our homes. My chosen battleground was a spare room, often neglected during warmer months, but now demanding attention. The first step was a thorough assessment. Dark patches on the walls and a musty odor greeted me as I entered the room. I knew that beneath the surface, spores were silently colonizing unseen areas. Armed with gloves, a flashlight, and a determination to reclaim this space, I began the arduous process of cleanup. Safety was paramount, so I donned a mask and protective eyewear to shield myself from potential airborne spores. Armed with an assortment of cleaning supplies - vinegar, baking soda, a strong fungicidal cleaner, and a scrub brush - I was ready to face the challenge.

Removal of Visible Fungus:

With a mixture of warm water and vinegar, I tackled the visible fungus patches. The acidity of vinegar is a natural enemy to fungus, making it an excellent cleaning agent. Gently scrubbing the affected areas, I could already see progress. The once-dark patches began to fade, and a glimmer of hope emerged.

Deep Cleaning:

Knowing that visible fungus was only part of the problem, I proceeded with a deep clean. Baking soda, known for its anti-fungal properties, was mixed with water to form a thick paste. Applying it to the walls and other affected surfaces, I left it to work its magic for a few hours. Then, armed with elbow grease and determination, I scrubbed away.

Fungicidal Treatment:

To ensure no spores were left behind, I applied a powerful fungicidal cleaner to all surfaces. This was a crucial step, as even a few lingering spores could lead to a resurgence of the problem.

Ventilation and Prevention:

With the room now fungus-free, I turned my attention to prevention. Ensuring adequate ventilation was key, so I left windows open during the day to promote air circulation. Additionally, a dehumidifier was brought in to maintain optimal humidity levels.

A Fungus-Free Sanctuary

The battle against winter fungus in my South Korean home was a challenging but ultimately victorious endeavor. Through careful assessment, strategic cleaning, and preventive measures, I transformed a once-infested room into a healthy, welcoming space.This experience taught me the importance of vigilance and proactive maintenance. By staying attuned to the needs of our living spaces, we can create environments that nurture our well-being, even in the harshest of seasons. As winter wanes and spring approaches, I am confident that my sanctuary will remain a fungus-free haven for seasons to come.

Sajitha Lakmali 

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.